Read Write Inc.
How does Read, Write, Inc. Work?
The children are assessed and grouped according to their ability.
They work in small focused groups with a teacher or teaching assistant.
At the end of each half term the children will be assessed again to check they have made progress.
In addition to the Read Write Inc programme the children will also be working on reading, writing and oracy skills in their classes with their own class teacher.
Reading Using Read Write Inc the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into understanding what they read.
When using ‘Read Write Inc’ to read the children will:
* Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
* Learn to read words by blending the sounds together * Read lively stories featuring words they have learnt to sound out
* Show that they understand the stories by answering ‘Find It’ and ‘Prove it’ discussion questions.
Writing Read Write Inc allows the children to spell effortlessly so that they can put their energy into working out what they want to write.
When using ‘Read Write Inc’ to write the children will:
* Learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds (graphemes)
* Learn to write words by sounding them out and then writing the corresponding graphemes
* Learn to write simple and then increasingly complex sentences
* Compose a range of texts using discussion prompts
* Compose stories based on picture strips.
What can I do to help my child at home?
* Revise the sounds taught in class. * Practice the given spellings and dicsuss the meanings of the words. * Read regulary with your child, encouraging the pleasure of reading within different genres. * Look for opportunities for your child to enhance their reading skills by alternatives means, such as food packaging, road signs, web pages, posters, magazines and newspapers.