School governors are people who want to make a positive contribution to children’s education.
Governors are one of the largest volunteer forces in the country and have an important part to play in raising school standards. The role of the governing board is absolutely key to the effectiveness of a school. Time and time again Ofsted (the national inspection body for schools) has noted that the most effective schools demonstrate effective leadership and management – including by the governing board.
What do governors do?
School governors provide strategic leadership and accountability in schools. Governors appoint the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher. It is governors who hold the main responsibility for finance in schools, and it is governors who work with the Headteacher to make the tough decisions about balancing resources.
Each individual governor is a member of a governing body, which is established in law as a corporate body. Individual governors may not act independently of the rest of the governing board; decisions are the joint responsibility of the governing board.
The role of the governing board is a strategic one, its key functions are to:
- set the aims and objectives for the school
- set the policies for achieving those aims and objectives
- set the targets for achieving those aims and objectives
- monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making towards achievement of its aims and objectives
- be a source of challenge and support to the Headteacher (a critical friend)
The Governing Board of Alderman Swindell Primary School
- Resources – Resources terms of reference.doc updated 2015-16
- School Performance – School Performance terms of reference 2015-16
Instrument of Government 13th July 2016
- 1 Local Authority (LA) governor
- 4 co-opted governors
- 1 headteacher governor
- 1 elected staff governor
- 2 elected parent governors
Total number of governors – 9
Mr John Simmons
Mr Michael Blake
Dr. S. Fox
Mrs. Denise Merrifield – co-opted governor – Term of Office 01.09.14 – 31.08.18
Mrs. Christina Horne
Mr. Joel Heys – parent governor – Term of Office 24.11.15 – 23.11.19
Miss. Alison Hopley – headteacher governor
Clerk Mrs. Tracy Lacey – firstname.lastname@example.org
2 x co-opted governors and 1 x parent governor
Becoming a governor.
please contact Mrs. Lacey for further details
phone; 01493 842055
IF YOU WISH TO CONTACT THE CHAIR PLEASE DO SO VIA THE CLERK.
Governor Meeting Attendance Data
Attendance Data 2015 – 2016
Attendance Data 2014 – 2015